Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Dark Frigate


The Dark Frigate by Charles B. Hawes is first Newberry Award winner. His book won this award in 1924.

This story is about a man named Phillip Marsham. He joined a frigate in his teens and then his ship is taken over by a bunch of deadly pirates. Luckily, the pirate captain realizes how loyal Phillip is. Phillip is trying to make his way back to England.

I didn't enjoy reading this book too much, as the language was that of old English. It fit with the context and setting of the story, but made for difficult and long reading. I believe this book to be a bit too difficult for elementary students. I personally did not connect with this book, which was a shame since I am highly intrigued with pirates and like-stories. I found myself reading this in short bursts and not fully grasping the potential quality of literature this book could be.

No comments: