Thursday, November 20, 2008

Rosa


Rosa is a book telling the story of Rosa Parks and unwillingness to move from her seat on the bus in Montgomery, Alabama. This book received the Coretta Scott King Illustrator award, so as I read it I took the pictures into deep consideration. The pictures themselves could not fully tell the story, as the text included many detailed facts about Rosa Parks and the bus boycott that I was unaware of. However, the pictures showed the emotions of the characters well.

Rosa was described as a happy woman who was determined in her actions. The close up on her hands as she gripped her sewing bag showed her wedding ring and described the strength she had through her family. This book makes for an excellent retelling of her life and the movement it caused, leading up to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s famous speech. I am not a big fan of history lessons, but I enjoyed this book.

No comments: